Australia duty sees Stanlake withdraw from Blast

Stanlake

Australia fast bowler Billy Stanlake has been withdrawn from his scheduled stint in the T20 Blast with Yorkshire to focus on national commitments.

Stanlake has been selected for Australia’s T20I tri-series in Zimbabwe but is also believed to be in the frame for an Australia A tour to India.

The big quick returned to the nets at the National Cricket Centre last Friday having had a spell on the sidelines after fracturing his pinky finger playing in the Indian Premier League.

He had been scheduled to play 12 T20 matches with the Yorkshire Vikings in the T20 Blast.

The A tour to India is shaping up to be something of a trial for spots in the Test squads for Australia’s away series against Pakistan.

ALSO READ: Grumpy old Graves risking it all as he presses ahead with Hundred fiasco

Australia coach Justin Langer told SEN Radio: “There’s an Australia A tour to India where there’s a couple of four-day games.

“I imagine we might leave our selection for Pakistan (in) the UAE quite late, use that build-up and use that match practice.

“I’d suggest it might be a pretty strong Australia A team going to India.”

Stanlake has played little red ball cricket in recent years owing to the amount of back injuries he sustained early in his career.

Yorkshire director of cricket Martyn Moxon said: “Cricket Australia got in touch on Friday and have decided on a different strategy for Billy Stanlake.

“Now the new Australia coach is in place, they want him to play some different cricket to T20 during the period he was due to be with us. Consequently, they’ve pulled him out of our deal, which is obviously very disappointing for us.

“We’re not the only county, it would appear, who has been affected by this.”