Sri Lanka were in deep trouble at stumps on day two of the first Test in Hobart, having lost four wickets for 87 runs in the evening as Australia dominated the day from start to finish.

Only Tillakaratne Dilshan provided resistance as the Lankan top order failed against the new ball at the Blundstone Arena, scoring an unbeaten 50 off 85 balls as the Aussie pacemen shared the spoils. The visitors trailed by 363 runs at the close.

Australia made a bold decision and declared with their score on 450 for five, just before tea. Michael Hussey was still in the middle on 115 not out, having upped the scoring after lunch and clearly mindful of the inclement weather over the next few days.

Matthew Wade was Mr Cricket's partner in crime as the declaration arrived, the Aussies having lost only Michael Clarke on the day. The wicketkeeper was on 68 off 135 balls, putting in a valuable knock to show selectors why they kept faith with him.

Clarke was out for 74 to Shaminda Eranga early in the morning session, having added four runs to his overnight score of 299. The skipper moved to drive the Eranga delivery, but the ball moved away from him and he edged it to Kumar Sangakkara at first slip.

The remainder of the morning saw Hussey, who had been on 37 overnight, and Wade push the score along. They went at a much slower pace than on day one, as the wicket and bowling proved tricky. At lunch, with the rain coming down during the break to delay the restart, Hussey was on 66 and Wade on 31.

The duo pushed on after the rain cleared, and Hussey reached his century with a lucky stroke. He pulled the ball in the air, and looked like being caught on the ropes, but the fielder could not hold on and the ball bounced away for four.

The declaration arrived half an hour before the tea break, with Clarke looking to get as much play in as possible, given the rain forecast for the remainder of the game.

Sri Lanka's reply got off t a poor start and never recovered, first with Dimuth Karunaratne nicking Ben Hilfenhaus, and then Kumar Sangakkara failing again. The veteran made only four runs before nicking Peter Siddle to Hussey at third slip.

Skipper Mahela Jayawardene used a review when given out LBW to Shane Watson, but the replay showed the ball would have hit leg stump so e had to go, the score on 70 for three.

Thilan Samaraweera added seven to the score and was the final wicket to fall, bringing on the close as he was caught by Wade off Nathan Lyon.