Fast bowler Peter Siddle's five-wicket haul upstaged batsman Tillakaratne Dilshan's century, as Australia strengthened their command over Sri Lanka on day three of the first Test at the Bellerive Oval in Hobart on Sunday.

Shouldering a heavy workload after fellow seamer Ben Hilfenhaus left the field with a side injury, Siddle romped to figures of five for 54 regardless, resigning the opposition to 336 all out - and a 114-run deficit.

Openers David Warner and Ed Cowan then duly staved off the loss of an early wicket, reaching 27 without loss to extend the hosts' lead to a formidable 141 by the close of play.

Resuming on 87 for four overnight in response to the Australians' 450 for five declared, the Sri Lankans cherished the early determined nature of Dilshan and vice-captain Angelo Mathews' alliance.

The duo added for 161 for the fifth wicket, the highlight of which was the 15th ton of Dilshan's career - and first in Australia. The hard-hitting right-hander's vigil lasted 273 balls, featured 21 boundaries, and was eventually ended on 147 by an outstanding yorker from left-armer Mitchell Starc.

Mathews and wicketkeeper-batsman Prasanna Jayawardene, meanwhile, batted superbly around the centurion, with the former showing he is the right man to lead from the front when skipper Mahela Jayawardene concludes his tenure - and the later deft in the face of Siddle's pursuit.

Both men, however, eventually fell lbw to the pugnacious right-armer, with the removal of tail-enders Rangana Herath and Chanaka Welegedara eventually affording the steely Australian the sixth five-for of his career.

Herath, though, will feel particularly aggrieved after television replays revealed plenty of evidence of an inside edge. Umpire Tony Hill's lbw decision was, indeed, incorrect.

Sri Lanka's new-ball attack later proved rather uninspired with Warner and Cowan hardly trouble in their collective bid en route to the safety of stumps. Defensive throughout, Monday will be bringing more of an attacking approach from the left-handed pair.