English Director of Cricket Ashley Giles has moved to play down the burgeoning row over the extra run England received during the 2019 Cricket World Cup final.
The incident occurred in the final over of the regular match, when Martin Guptill’s throw from the deep ricocheted all the way to the boundary off Ben Stokes’ bat.
Former ICC umpire Simon Taufel spoke yesterday of the “clear mistake” that the umpires on the field made.
However, Giles dismissed the notion that the mishap had a binding effect on the result, insisting that had the extra run not been given, England’s batsmen would have approached the final few balls with a different set of intentions.
“Well, you can look at so many moments during the day. If that had been the case, Stokesy got a full toss last ball, he’d probably have smashed it out of the park rather than try to nurdle two,” Giles told Sky Sports.
“If you look over there, we’ve got the trophy and I think you’ll find it very difficult to get it out of their hands.”
OH MY GOD! 🤯
Have you ever seen anything like it?!
Is this the moment that wins England the #CWC19?
— Sky Sports (@SkySports) July 14, 2019
According to MCC rule 19.8, the runs scored should include the boundary and the runs completed by the batsmen if they had already crossed by the time the ball had been thrown, which Stokes and Rashid had not.
The rule states:
‘If the boundary results from an overthrow or from the wilful act of a fielder, the runs scored shall be:
In response, the ICC told Sky Sports News: “The umpires take decisions on the field with their interpretation of the rules and we don’t comment on any decisions as a matter of policy.”
The swing bowler completed the landmark at Headingley.
But the ICC has rejected claims the tournament will be postponed, insisting a number of contingency plans are being considered.
He will not return from his family home in Tasmania even if the delayed season gets under way later this summer.
No domestic cricket can take place until at least August.
An expanded training group of up to 45 is due to be named on Friday.
The governing body still aims to stage a shortened domestic season.
Professional cricket is on hold until at least July 1.
The tournament is scheduled to start on October 18 until November 15 in Australia.