Stokes defiant in the face of England World Cup disaster
Ben Stokes was in a combative mood following England’s defeat to Australia, insisting that: “This is our world cup.”
England suffered a second straight defeat in the tournament versus Australia at Lord’s on Tuesday – their heaviest so far by the margin of 64 runs.
England always faced an uphill task after they failed to find the breakthrough within the first 10 overs, despite several close calls and numerous play-and-misses from the Aussie opening pair.
The platform laid by Aaron Finch 100 (116) and David Warner 53 (61) with their 123-run opening stand propelled Australia to a total that always appeared difficult to chase, especially on a Lord’s pitch that provided seam and swing in abundance.
The setback was England’s third loss of the tournament and now leaves the home nation in perilous waters, with the risk of failing to reach the knockout stage a genuine prospect.
Stokes has been the one batsman to have provided significant resistance in the past two matches, and asked whether he had a message for the home fans, Stokes said: “This is our World Cup.
“We’ve had great support over the last four years and we know how much a World Cup means to fans. We know that as players as well. We’re not going to take a backward step. This is our World Cup.”
“Back to back losses can sometimes make you think differently as a team, but we’re not going to go back on our method of playing,”
“We’re not for a minute going to take a backward step. We’re a very, very confident team, these last two games aren’t going to change that.”
During his innings, Stokes appeared to be suffering with a minor leg injury, but the Durham all-rounder was quick to allay any lay-off fears: “It wasn’t cramp, it was just tight calves.
“I suffer with it every now and then, especially on muggy days like this. There’s nothing to worry about.”
West Indies to blood young stars on white ball tour of Pakistan
Allrounder Odean Smith is among the uncapped players in the squad.
ECB chief Tom Harrison: Cricket must look at alcohol culture
The ECB released details of the game-wide action plan to tackle racism and discrimination in the sport on Friday.
ECB unveils action plan to tackle discrimination, what is next for cricket?
The game-wide response to racism was finally published on Friday after two delays this week.
The Netherlands set to abandon South Africa tour after washed out ODI
The Netherlands will be cutting their tour short having played just one abandoned match.
Mushfiqur Rahim and Liton Das keep Bangladesh in fight against Pakistan
Bangladesh fought back thanks to Liton Das and Mushfiqur.
English cricket boss says ‘earthquake’ has hit the game after racism revelations
The ECB published a 12-point, game-wide action plan on Friday to tackle racism and all forms of discrimination in the game.
Southee powers Black Caps fightback, Latham and Young hold out
Tom Latham also made three successful DRS reviews.
Mark Wood wants to grab Ashes opportunity with both hands
The fast bowler has only appeared in one previous Ashes series back in 2015.
English cricket bosses to unveil delayed action plan on racism following claims
The document to tackle racism in the sport was initially set to be published on Wednesday.
Pat Cummins unveiled as new Australia captain as Tim Paine takes leave of absence
Steve Smith will serve as Cummins’s deputy in the Test side.