Hales signs on for Big Bash stint with Sydney Thunder
Out-of-favour England batsman Alex Hales is set for a fourth stint in Australia’s Big Bash League this winter after signing for Sydney Thunder.
Hales lost his white-ball central contract last month after being dropped from the World Cup squad following a suspension for failing a recreational drugs test, and is currently in action with Barbados Tridents in the CPL.
England director of cricket Ashley Giles said “the door is not closed” on Hales’s international prospects and the 30-year-old will look to press his claims for a recall in Australia’s domestic Twenty20 competition.
Thunder head coach Shane Bond said on the franchise’s official website: “Obviously Alex is on the outer with the England squad at the moment, but I think he’s still got a lot to offer.
“Hopefully this is another chance for him to show his maturity and make a claim for the T20 World Cup next year.
“He’s one of the best T20 batters in the world. To have someone of his quality available for the whole tournament for us is a great pick up.”
The big-hitting opener, who recently extended his limited-overs only contract with Nottinghamshire, has previously represented Melbourne Renegades, Adelaide Strikers and Hobart Hurricanes in the BBL.
Hales replaces countryman Jos Buttler, who is unavailable for the Thunder this season because of his international commitments.
Hales said: “I really can’t wait to return to the Big Bash.
“It’s such a hugely respected tournament around the world. The standard of cricket is amazing and any chance you get to visit Australia and play over there is amazing, so I’m really looking forward to it.
“Sydney Thunder is the full package. Sydney is one of the best cities in the world, getting the chance to work with Shane Bond – who is a highly respected coach – and it’s a young club, so hopefully I can be part of building a successful family there.
“As an opener you want to be one of the leading run-scorers, so that’s definitely one of my aims.”
Ben Duckett at peace with World Cup omission and looking forward to India series
The batter has switched focus to his next duel.
Durham are Division Two champions after bowling out Worcestershire
With promotion already secured last week, Durham required a maximum of five points to clinch top spot.
Phil Salt knows there is plenty to play for ahead of the World Cup
Salt’s aggressive ball-striking and ability to double up as a wicketkeeper has earned him plenty of interest on the franchise circuit.
Jason Roy rejects England call as Tom Kohler-Cadmore added to squad
The experienced opener was ruthlessly dropped from the squad for next month’s World Cup despite being named in the provisional 15.
England frustrated at damp Headingley as first Ireland ODI is abandoned
The match was officially abandoned more than four hours and several inspections after the scheduled start time.
England’s ODI with Ireland at Headingley abandoned due to rain
No play was possible in the first of three ODIs between the teams as they warm-up for the Cricket World Cup.
Adam Rossington century rescues Essex against Hampshire
Rossington contributed 104 to an important 177-run stand with all-rounder Critchley.
Jos Buttler felt a sense of duty to inform Jason Roy of World Cup omission
Harry Brook was preferred to Roy in the final squad.
England captain Zak Crawley happy to have Joe Root available against Ireland
Root is the only member of the first-choice squad taking on the Irish in the series opener at Headingley on Wednesday.