Another one bites the dust as Taylor steps down as CA board director
Mark Taylor announced on Monday that he has decided to step down from his role as a Cricket Australia (CA) Board director, effective immediately.
It is another blow to CA as the fall-out from the cultural and ethics review released last week has claimed another head.
Taylor, a former national captain, had been touted as a possible successor to David Peever, who resigned as CA chairman last week.
The now 54-year-old Taylor served a total of 13 years on the CA Board. First appointed from September 2004 to September 2012, he was re-appointed in June 2013.
CA’s interim chairman, Earl Eddings thanked Taylor for the valuable contribution he made to the Board.
Eddings said: “While we would like Mark to continue as a Director on the Board, we appreciate his reasons and have accepted his resignation.
“Mark has given an enormous amount to Australian cricket over three decades as a player, captain and Board member.
“A prolific opening batsman, and widely regarded as one of Australia’s best captains, Mark has been a statesman of the game, showing great leadership on and off the field.
“Mark was appointed to the Cricket NSW Board the year he finished playing in 1999.
“He spent 12 years as a state Board member, combining this with his national Board role for a time.
“Mark has played a significant role in helping build and shape relationships within the cricket community, specifically with players past and present, and in his role as Director has always worked collaboratively with key parties to put the interests of Australian cricket first.
“It’s been an honour to have an icon of Australian Cricket serving on the Board of Cricket Australia, and our best wishes go to Mark. We thank him for his ongoing commitment and valuable insights to the game.
“While it has been a difficult few weeks for Australian Cricket, The Board of Cricket Australia and the Executive team are committed to rebuilding and earning the trust of the cricket community,” said Eddings.
Taylor said it was sad to see the sport in the Australia in its current state but felt he longer had any more to give after 13 years.
He also called on Australian cricket to use the current crisis as a moment to “reset” with specific mention to the strained relationship between CA and the Australia Cricketers’ Association (ACA).
Speaking on his resignation, Taylor said: “With a total of 13 years Board service, and as Cricket Australia’s current longest-serving Director, I reached this decision following a high degree of soul searching and, importantly, having the game’s best interests clearly in mind.
“I have always appreciated serving cricket at this peak level, especially as it enabled me to repay my gratitude at being given the ultimate privilege and honour of representing my country, along with the added rare honour of being appointed its captain.
“Following on from the events in March this year that rocked the cricketing world, and the ongoing damage this created for our game, including vital employer-employee relationships, my principle brief has been to work hard at fostering and restoring a workable, meaningful and respectful understanding between Cricket Australia and the Australian Cricketers’ Association, especially at a time when both parties were still recovering from the prolonged spirited, vigorous, and, sometimes, toxic MoU negotiations dating back to mid-2017.
“As Australian cricket faces up to its latest challenge, the time therefore has arrived for me to step back and allow Cricket Australia and the Australian Cricketers’ Association to work from a fresh page in restoring the important values that have enabled Australia, for many years, to be recognised as one of the world’s most admired and successful cricket nations.
“My decision also removes the conflicts that have lately emerged with me striving to achieve a better working relationship between Cricket Australia and the Australian Cricketers’ Association whilst having to address my ongoing role of reporting on cricket for the Nine Network.
“My best wishes, as always, go to the Board of Cricket Australia and the game of cricket wherever it is played and enjoyed,” said Taylor.
Kagiso Rabada reiterates BLM support as South Africa opt against taking knee
The Proteas will not take a knee during the forthcoming series against England.
Olly Stone ready to ‘bash down the door’ after England recall
The Warwickshire paceman was included in the one-day international squad against South Africa and impressed in an intra-squad warm-up game.
Sam Billings striving to make sure he keeps place in ‘phenomenal’ England side
Billings and Joe Root put on 103 for Jos Buttler’s XI in a 40-over intra-squad warm-up victory in Cape Town.
Joe Root hits decisive 77 as Jos Buttler’s team triumph in England warm-up match
The 23-man squad was split in two for the 40-over practice match in Cape Town, with Team Eoin Morgan challenging Team Buttler.
Joe Root hits 77 as England warm-up in Cape Town ahead of South Africa series
England split their squad into two teams for a 40-over practice match.
Warm-up match cancelled after second Proteas player tests positive for COVID-19
There will be no intra-squad warm-up for the Proteas thanks to a COVID-19 outbreak.
Chris Jordan says South Africa should not be ‘judged’ for not taking a knee
Barbados-born Jordan says racial inequality remains a pressing matter among England’s diverse squad.
Lockie Ferguson prepared to wait for his Test break
Injury to Lockie Ferguson allowed Kyle Jamieson to seize his opportunity to impress Black Caps team management before lockdown.
ICC makes alterations to World Test Championship points system
COVID-19 has forced the ICC to amend the points system for the 2019-21 World Test Championship.
World leading Dawid Malan ready to prove himself again in South Africa
Yorkshire batsman has impressed in T20 cricket.