Siddle backs the bans handed to tampering trio

Australia

Veteran Australia paceman Peter Siddle wants the ball-tampering bans handed down to Cameron Bancroft, Steve Smith and David Warner to remain in place.

Earlier this week the players’ union the Australian cricketer’s Association (ACA) responded to the release of a scathing independent report that suggested Cricket Australia (CA) should shoulder some of the responsibility for the Newlands sandpaper scandal.

The seamer does not feel commuting the bans sends the right message.

Siddle told AAP: “”You always want to see them playing cricket but I think … the punishments are there for a reason.

“They understood the reasons why they got those punishments so I think … it comes down to them, obviously, serving them out, copping the penalty.

“And it’s very close to them being back. They’ve still been playing cricket around the world (and) staying fit.”

READ: CA review claims a scalp as Peever resigns as chairman

Siddle says that he doesn’t have an axe to grind with the trio, whom he played with in the past.

“Obviously I’m close mates with them and we’d like to see them out there but, also, hopefully their punishments can be something moving forward,” he said.

“Like JL (Australia coach Justin Langer) spoke about last night. Hopefully it does clean up the game and make it for the good of the game.”

The bans handed to Smith and Warner are due to expire on March 28 while Bancroft will be free to play from December 29.

Latest