Smith, Bancroft will not challenge CA sanctions

Countries

Steve Smith and Cameron Bancroft will not challenge the sanctions given to them by Cricket Australia (CA) following the ball-tampering scandal on the tour to South Africa.

Smith was banned for one year while Bancroft was given a nine-month suspension after the latter admitted to using sandpaper to change condition of the ball during the third Test at Newlands last month.

In addition, both players were also given a 12-month ban from leadership positions.

On Tuesday, the Australia Cricketer’s Association (ACA) said the penalties were harsh and needed to be reduced but Smith and Bancroft have now confirmed on social media that they will accept their punishment.

Smith wrote on twitter on Wednesday: “I would give anything to have this behind me and be back representing my country.

“But I meant what I said about taking full responsibility as captain of the team. I won’t be challenging the sanctions.

“They’ve been imposed by CA to send a strong message and I have accepted them.”

Shortly after Smith’s tweet, Bancroft also took to social media and said:  “Today I lodged the paperwork with Cricket Australia and will be accepting the sanction handed down.

“I would love to put this behind me and will do whatever it takes to earn back the trust of the Australian public. Thank you to all those who have sent messages of support.”

The third player punished by CA, former vice-captain David Warner, has not yet announced whether he will appeal his sanction.

Warner was also banned for one year and in addition was suspended from holding any leadership position within Australia cricket for life.

Latest