Warner has not contemplated ban being reduced

Countries

David Warner has accepted that he will serve all of the 12 months that he was banned for following the ball-tampering scandal in South Africa earlier this year.

Australian cricket went through another difficult week after the release of the cultural review with the chairman, a director and high performance manager of Cricket Australia all resigning.

There has been efforts made by the Australian Cricketers Association (ACA) to have the bans for Warner, Steve Smith and Cameron Bancroft rescinded in light of the findings of the review, which painted the entire Australian cricket set-up in a dim light.

ALSO READ: ACA push to get banned trio back on the field

But Warner, who played a club game in Sydney against Smith on Saturday, has accepted his fate and urged the public to back the current players in the national team.

Warner said: “I’m sitting here with 12 months on the sidelines, that’s the way I look at it.

“That’s why I want everyone to keep being positive about the guys who are playing [for Australia]. We can’t just sit here and keep saying ‘are they are going to be in or not’.

“There’s going to be some negative impact with what happened, but we have to put our best foot forward to make sure Australians are enjoying cricket.

“We put our hands up, we were ashamed of what happened, but we are here to try and promote cricket. We are trying to get Australians back loving it.”

Warner also said playing club cricket has put things into “perspective” and has given him a realty check playing alongside people with weekday jobs.

The left-handed batsman continued: “You pinch yourself a little when you walk in the changing room and the guys are talking about the working week.

“It puts it in perspective, we have been living in a bubble for a long time.”

Latest