Dean Elgar has been appointed as captain of the Proteas for the third and final Test against Pakistan, starting at the Wanderers on Friday, after Faf du Plessis was banned for one game by the ICC.
Du Plessis was given a one game suspension due to his team’ slow over-rate in the second Test of the series at Newlands whgich the hosts won to wrap up the series.
Elgar has stood in as Proteas skipper before when he took the reins against England at Lord’s in 2017 when Du Plessis was at home with his wife who was giving birth to their child.
South Africa selection convener Linda Zondi said: “The appointment of Elgar as stand-in captain is part of our strategy to develop our pool of leaders.
“We have previously used Aiden Markram and Quinton de Kock in this role in ODI matches and Dean has previously captained the Proteas at Test match level against England at Lord’s in 2017.”
The Proteas selectors have also put uncapped Cape Cobras opening batsman Pieter Malan on standby for Aiden Markram, who has a right thigh injury sustained while fielding in the previous Test at Newlands.
The 29 year-old Malan has scored 629 runs in seven domestic first-class games this season at an average of 52.41 with three centuries and three fifties.
Zondi said: “Pieter Malan has an outstanding track record in four-day domestic cricket over the past two seasons, having made more than 1700 runs including 7 centuries.
“He has also made the step up to South Africa A level, first against Australia and then against India A on the sub-continent.”
The spin bowling all-rounder has not featured for the red ball side since being dropped during last summer’s Ashes.
The West Indies opener is looking to reverse his run of low scores next month.
The group will convene at the Ageas Bowl on June 23.
The match was scheduled for June 26 at The Grange.
The Glamorgan batsman’s solitary appearance in 1970 was stripped of Test status.
Bairstow has returned to individual training at Headingley this month.
An average of 52.2 after 78 one-day internationals shows Hope is one of the islanders’ best batsmen.
The ICC has deferred a decision about the competition from October 18 to November 15.
The former Middlesex and Surrey player says cricket is a “force for bringing people together” and is optimistic for the future