NZ cricket apologises after racial abuse of Jofra Archer
New Zealand Cricket is to apologise to Jofra Archer after the England paceman was racially abused while batting during the first Test.
Archer scored a second-innings 30 as the tourists failed to bat out the final day in Mount Maunganui, losing by an innings and 65 runs.
The 24-year-old said on Twitter: “A bit disturbing hearing racial insults today while battling to help save my team.
“The crowd has been amazing this week except for that one guy. The Barmy Army was good as usual also.”
The England and Wales Cricket Board said it is looking into the matter, while New Zealand Cricket has released a statement of apology.
A bit disturbing hearing racial insults today whilst battling to help save my team , the crowd was been amazing this week except for that one guy , @TheBarmyArmy was good as usual also
— Jofra Archer (@JofraArcher) November 25, 2019
It read: “New Zealand Cricket will be contacting, and apologising to English fast bowler Jofra Archer, who was racially abused by a spectator as he left the field at the conclusion of the first Test at Bay Oval, Mt Maunganui.
“Although security providers at the venue were unable to locate the perpetrator, NZC will be examining CCTV footage and making further inquiries tomorrow in an endeavour to identify the man responsible.
We are shocked and disappointed to hear of the verbal abuse @JofraArcher received after the Test today. @englandcricket might be our rivals but they’re also our friends and racist abuse is never okay!
— BLACKCAPS (@BLACKCAPS) November 25, 2019
“NZC has zero tolerance towards abusive or offensive language at any of its venues and will refer any developments in the case to police.
“It will contact Mr Archer tomorrow to apologise for the unacceptable experience, and to promise increased vigilance in the matter when the teams next meet in Hamilton.”
Injury-hit Jofra Archer back with England for first time in nearly a year
Archer is still some way off a return after heading to his native Barbados following a second operation on a longstanding elbow complaint last month.
South Africa vs India: Quinton de Kock will be welcomed ‘with open arms’
Quinton de Kock will be welcomed with open arms in the South Africa squad to face India in a limited-overs series.
Nat Sciver: England ‘a bit more calm’ now after ‘tricky’ start to Australia tour
The multi-format Women’s Ashes series is set to get under way on Thursday with the first of three T20 internationals.
David Payne feels England T20 call-up provides opportunity to realise Test dream
The tall left-armer is still awaiting his first international cap and turns 31 next month.
Here’s who should be in the England XI for the first Ashes Test of 2023
Following the latest Ashes humiliation, Matt Whiley selects an England Test team that we can finally be proud of.
Australia tour to Pakistan: Pace attack could be boosted
Australia are likely to include a raft of pace bowlers in their squad for the scheduled tour to Pakistan in March.
South Africa vs India: Keegan Petersen still coming to terms with stardom
New South Africa batting star Keegan Petersen has not quite gotten his head around his newfound fame.
Ashes reaction: Kevin Pietersen backs Joe Root and coach Chris Silverwood
Former England captain Kevin Pietersen has backed current captain Joe Root and coach Chris Silverwood to remain in charge of the team.
England Test team: ECB investigating after police called to Ashes drinks following Hobart Test
Players and staff from both the Australian and English teams were at the event.
Rassie van der Dussen relished India banter in tough Test series
The series between South Africa and India rode on a knife-edge.