South Africa coach Ottis Gibson has confirmed that Quinton de Kock will contest the level one charge that was levelled against him by the ICC for his part in the confrontation with Australia’s David Warner in Durban.
In a video clip that was captured by CCTV footage, Warner is having to be restrained by his teammates as the players enter the dressing rooms during the tea interval on day four of the Test.
Warner has subsequently accepted a level two charge from the ICC and has been fined 75 per cent of his match fee and hit with three demerit points against him.
De Kock’s hearing to contest his charge will be held in Port Elizabeth on Wednesday evening, with the second Test of the four-match series set to start on Friday.
Gibson told the media at St George’s Park on Wednesday: “We are appealing the level one because we believe Quinny didn’t do anything.
“Quinny wasn’t aggressive, you saw some footage and the footage showed Quinny walking up the stairs and somebody else [David Warner] being restrained and then Quinny gets a level one, that didn’t seem fair.
“Quinny wouldn’t have said anything if something wasn’t said to him first in the first place.
“If I’m walking up the stairs and someone else is being restrained how can you fine me for something? ”
Gibson has also urged his team to focus on the game and not everything that is going on around it.
The Proteas find themsleves one-nil down in the series and need to up their skils on the field if they want to bounce back in the series.
The SA coach continued: “I feel everyone needs to just focus on cricket. Just calm down and listen and focus on cricket.”
Nasri Alexander in Port Elizabeth
Professional cricket is on hold until at least July 1.
The tournament is scheduled to start on October 18 until November 15 in Australia.
Hales lost his squad berth in last year’s World Cup triumph after news broke that he had failed a second test for recreational drugs.
Brown’s 489 first-class appearances for Gloucestershire put him seventh on the club’s all-time list.
Australia seamer Mitchell Starc warned against the proposed new cricket regulations.
A teleconference on Thursday could bring positive news for cricket fans.
The Australian’s peak moment at the helm came last year as he shepherded England to their first ever World Cup crown.
Any return would have to be considered in the future with Yorkshire’s players and staff having taken wage cuts due to the pandemic.
The traditional method of spit-polishing to produce movement through the air has been deemed too great a risk of transmitting coronavirus.