South Africa fast bowler Morne Morkel says he would consider giving up ODI cricket and concentrate on the longest format if he is not in the national team’s plans for the 2019 World Cup.
Morkel is now 32-years-old and admits that he might not be part of the Proteas plans for the next global event.
The lanky pacer, who has taken 186 wickets in 112 ODIs, was part of the Proteas’ starting team in all three games at the Champions Trophy in June but admits the national side may be looking at younger players.
Morkel is currently part of the Proteas Test side that is in England with the four-match series level at one-all with two matches to play.
When asked if will give up one format, Morkel said in quotes published on Cricinfo: “I don’t know. After this tour we’ll see. I’ll speak with Cricket South Africa and see where they see me featuring. I love playing for this team.
“But it’s not rocket science that they probably want to start looking, in white-ball cricket, at the 2019 World Cup. Am I going to part of those plans? If I can be around to help the younger guys find their feet, so be it.
“I’ll do that. For me the main focus is this tour and then we’ll go back and see how we go.”
Professional cricket is on hold until at least July 1.
The tournament is scheduled to start on October 18 until November 15 in Australia.
Hales lost his squad berth in last year’s World Cup triumph after news broke that he had failed a second test for recreational drugs.
Brown’s 489 first-class appearances for Gloucestershire put him seventh on the club’s all-time list.
Australia seamer Mitchell Starc warned against the proposed new cricket regulations.
A teleconference on Thursday could bring positive news for cricket fans.
The Australian’s peak moment at the helm came last year as he shepherded England to their first ever World Cup crown.
Any return would have to be considered in the future with Yorkshire’s players and staff having taken wage cuts due to the pandemic.
The traditional method of spit-polishing to produce movement through the air has been deemed too great a risk of transmitting coronavirus.