De Kock slapped with fine for Warner bust-up
Proteas wicketkeeper Quinton de Kock was slapped with fine of 25 per cent of his match fee and one demerit point against him for his part in the confrontation with Australia’s David Warner in the first Test in Durban.
De Kock had contested the sanction but his appeal was unsuccesful on Wednesday night and he can continue with preparations for the second Test that starts in Port Elizabeth on Friday.
The gloveman faced a level one charge, which related to “conduct that brings the game into disrepute” with a fine being the most severe punishment.
CCTV footage showed Warner turning on De Kock as the players walked up a staircase leading to the dressing rooms at the start of the tea interval at Kingsmead after the Proteas player allegedley said something of a personal nature to the Australia vice-captain.
Earlier in the day, Warner was fined 75 percent of his match fee and given three demerit points for his part in the fracas.
The Australia batsman accepted a level two ICC charge and there was no need for a formal hearing.
The verdict was handed down by match referee Jeff Crowe.
The Ashes 2021/22: England skipper Joe Root stresses support for Chris Silverwood
Head coach Silverwood missed last week’s hard-earned draw in Sydney as he recovered from coronavirus.
South Africa vs India: Proteas left a lot of runs on the park says day two star
India lead by 70 runs with eight second innings wickets in hand.
Cricket World Cup Super League: India add to ODI squad for South Africa series
Navdeep Saini and Jayant Yadav are last-minute additions to the squad.
ICC Rankings: Kyle Jamieson breaks new ground in latest Test update
The latest rankings update also sees Dean Elgar return to the batting top ten.
The Hundred news: Darren Lehmann resigns as Northern Superchargers head coach
The 51-year-old cited uncertainty around potential travel restrictions and isolation because of the Covid-19 pandemic as a factor in his decision.
Racism in cricket: Azeem Rafiq calls for Yorkshire hosting ban to be lifted
The ECB suspended the ground’s international status last year in the wake of Rafiq’s racism claims.
Ashes schedule and TV Time: When does the Fifth Test in Hobart start?
Ashes tv times and schedule.
The Ashes 2021/22: Mitchell Starc eager to keep hot streak going in Hobart
The Australian left-armer has taken 15 wickets at 26.60.
Parliamentary committee’s report on racism in cricket to be published on Friday
ECB chief executive Tom Harrison said in November the sport had been hit by an “earthquake”.
Joe Root begs England to continue to show the fighting spirit that saved Sydney Test
The tourists have one last chance to show their pride when the final match-up begins in Hobart on Friday.