Domingo has loved his time as Proteas coach
Russell Domingo has conceded that his time as South Africa coach could be up but feels he has done “okay” with the Test side, especially with all the challenges he faced.
Domingo took over as coach of the Proteas from Gary Kirsten four years ago but has now resigned himself to the fact that Cricket South Africa (CSA) will seek a new man to take the team forward.
With his contracted expiring at the end of this month, Domingo reflected on his tenure which has seen the Test side lose plenty of experience in his time at the helm.
Jacques Kallis and Graeme Smith retired from international cricket in 2013 while more recently AB de Villiers has decided to take a break from the longest format to concentrate on limited-overs cricket.
The Proteas have also had to deal with injuries to Dale Steyn and Vernon Philander but under the leadership of Faf du Plessis still won Test series in Australia and New Zealand as well as home tours against Sri Lanka and the Kiwis.
South Africa have just been beaten three-one in a four-match Test series in England and the coach admits his successor will still have to find the right combinations in Test cricket.
ALSO READ: Bayliss will take positives if Gibson becomes SA coach
Domingo said: “There are definite holes in the Test side that need bit a of attention, some tinkering which must take place.
“But I’ve loved my time. For a team that has a lot of challenges we’ve done okay.
“It’s been tricky. I took over a side that was established, then lost a lot of players, went through a dip, re-established some, lost a few players again, we sort of established something again, but then we lost Dale, Vernon and AB and that sets you back a little bit more.”
Domingo, who has been linked to help out with the South Africa A team or the SA under-19 side, still wants serve cricket in his home country.
He continued: “I’d like to stay in South African cricket. I’ve got a young family, my roots are in South Africa, my family’s in South Africa, I want to stay in South Africa.
“Whichever level I coach at, that’s my job, that’s what I love doing and as long as I can play some part in South African cricket I’ll be glad to stay.”
Opening batter Ben Duckett backed to thrive long-term in second England chance
Since his recall late last year, Duckett has been the model opening batter for the regime under Ben Stokes and Brendon McCullum.
Alex Hartley: Taking indefinite break from cricket was ‘hardest decision’ ever
Hartley announced on her BBC No Balls Podcast on Friday that she had been “struggling mentally” for several months.
England will keep embracing risks during Ashes despite ‘blip’ – Daryl Mitchell
England have enjoyed some rousing successes since Ben Stokes and Kiwi favourite Brendon McCullum took over the Test team.
Australia captain Meg Lanning ruled out of women’s Ashes
Cricket Australia said the 31-year-old has been ‘withdrawn from the squad due to a medical issue’.
Sean Abbott equals Blast record with stunning century for Surrey
The Australian equalled his compatriot Andrew Symonds by scoring a century from just 34 deliveries.
Six former Yorkshire players sanctioned by CDC in Azeem Rafiq racism case
Gary Ballance, Matthew Hoggard, Tim Bresnan, Andrew Gale, John Blain and Richard Pyrah have been handed combined fines of £22,000.
Cricket Ireland defends decision to rest Josh Little for England Test
The 23-year-old left-armer is one of Irish cricket’s hottest properties.
On this day in 2015: England hire Trevor Bayliss as head coach
Bayliss led England to World Cup glory in 2019.
Jason Roy looks Los Angeles-bound but says ‘I never will walk away from England’
The batter has had to cancel the remainder of his current incremental contract with the England and Wales Cricket Board.
Chris Wood warns wounded Hampshire cannot rely on repeat of ‘freak’ 2022 season
The south-coast county won 12 out of 13 matches after losing their first four to lift the Blast title last season.