Wayne Parnell reflects on ‘crazy journey’ after Proteas recall
South Africa all-rounder Wayne Parnell is confident he will be able to make his mark for the national team after securing a return to the Proteas fold.
No 32 years of age, the left-arm seamer was included in the Proteas’ ODI squad for the upcoming two matches against the Netherlands at SuperSport Park in Centurion at the end of the month.
SQUAD ANNOUNCEMENT 📣
— Cricket South Africa (@OfficialCSA) November 10, 2021
At one time regarded as the next ‘big thing’ in South African cricket, Parnell’s international career seemed to be at an end when he signed a Kolpak deal in 2018.
The last time he represented SA was against Pakistan at the 2017 Champions Trophy in England.
Since then, the powerful batsman returned to the domestic scene with Western Province.
It didn’t take long for the selectors to take notice and he was subsequently included in the squad to play the Dutch tourists in two weeks’ time.
A crazy journey
“It’s been a crazy journey over the last couple of years. Did I think this day would come?” Parnell quipped.
“I certainly didn’t say ‘I’m coming back into the South African cricket and playing for the Proteas again’. I was quite happy coming back to Western Province and trying to add value to this environment and it led to bigger things like being called up again.
“I don’t have any expectations as I haven’t spoken to anyone besides [convenor of selectors] Victor Mpitsang in terms of where do I fit in.
“I’m wondering, am I just filling in a gap? Is there an opportunity for me going forward?
“I am still young enough and I’ve been playing good cricket, and I feel like I can still contribute at this level. We’ll see once I get back into that set-up.”
He also explained why he took the Kolpak deal some three years ago while maintaining he still has something to offer the national team.
“At the end of the day, there’ll always be people thinking ‘Why did they pick him? Why?’,” he continued.
“Like I said, I’m comfortable with where my game is at. I’ve been picked to do a job and that conversation with Victor was similar.
“The Kolpak deal was a family decision and once it came to an end, I was still fortunate enough to play county cricket this season again.
“I don’t think my cricket has evolved, I just think I’m more experienced. I’ve played in various set-ups around the world…”
The matches take place on 26 and 28 November.
Essex’s slim hopes of winning County Championship dented by Northamptonshire
Essex need at least 400 to have any chance of claiming top spot.
Matthew Mott: Jofra Archer ‘desperate to play but realistic’ ahead of World Cup
The 28-year-old is not expected to be ready to return to action until the tournament is close to a conclusion.
Umpire Sue Redfern makes history in County Championship match at Glamorgan
Redfern became the first woman to stand as an umpire in a men’s first-class match in England and Wales.
England’s summer ends in soggy fashion and prompts a call for innovation
The one-day international against Ireland at Bristol was abandoned.
England win ODI series against Ireland after play is abandoned at Bristol
Ben Duckett had scored a century and Phil Salt 61 off just 28 balls before rain stopped play.
Marcus Trescothick says Andrew Flintoff ‘sprinkling gold-dust’ on England team
Flintoff was initially enlisted for four ODIs against New Zealand but has hung around for the Ireland series.
Axed Jason Roy urged to remain positive with World Cup role still a possibility
The big-hitting opener was replaced by Harry Brook in England’s squad for the World Cup.
ECB unable to commit to ICEC report’s equal pay targets for men and women
The ICEC report said women were treated as “second class citizens” in cricket.
ECB set to publish response to damning report on discrimination in cricket
Richard Thompson, chair of the ECB, unreservedly apologised when the ICEC’s findings were published in June.