Sutherland: Lehmann had no knowledge of ball-tampering
Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland insists Darren Lehmann had no prior knowledge of the ball-tampering incident in the third Test against South Africa and will see out his contract as of coach of the national side.
Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft were sent home from the tour of South Africa after owning up to trying to change the condition of the ball at Newlands but no other player or member of the management will be charged.
Bancroft was caught on TV footage applying sticky tape to the ball with Lehmann then shown to send a message to the field, via the 12th man, for the opener to get rid of the evidence.
However, Sutherland said the reports that Lehmann offered to resign in the wake of the scandal were false.
Lehmann will therefore stay on as coach until his contract expires at end of the 2019 Ashes campaign in England.
Sutherland said: “No other players or support staff had prior knowledge and this includes Darren Lehmann who, despite inaccurate media reports, has not resigned.
“He will continue to coach the Australian men’s team under his current contract.”
Sutherland said that the investigations have not been completed yet and that sanctions for Smith, Warner and Bancroft will be made on Wednesday.
The CA official added: “I fully understand the appetite for urgency for more detail. However, urgency must be balanced with due process given the serious implications for all involved.”
Jonny Bairstow heading in the right direction in his recovery from injury
The 33-year-old Yorkshireman underwent successful surgery on a broken leg and dislocated ankle in September after a freak golf incident.
Jofra Archer enjoys new role as he bowls England to victory in South Africa
Archer did not open the bowling but produced career-best ODI figures.
Sir Andrew Strauss lauds ‘extraordinary leaders’ Brendon McCullum and Ben Stokes
England’s men’s team have won nine of their 10 Test matches under the new regime.
Jofra Archer returns career-best ODI figures as England claim consolation win
England won the third and final match against South Africa but had already lost the series.
Dawid Malan and Jos Buttler hit hundreds as England fight back in South Africa
Buttler’s men are bidding to avoid a series clean sweep and a sixth successive loss in the ODI format.
Tom Curran taking break from red-ball cricket for ‘my body and my mental health’
The 27-year-old has endured injury problems in recent years.
Olly Stone hopes to play a role in an England pace trio during this year’s Ashes
Stone hopes to play a role this summer along with Jofra Archer and Mark Wood.
Olly Stone ready for whatever role is required to make England World Cup squad
‘Any way in the England team, I’ll snap someone’s hand off,’ said Stone.
Dane van Niekerk ‘absolutely broken’ to miss World Cup over fitness standards
The South Africa captain was unable to complete a two-kilometre run in the minimum required time.
Run of defeats has not damaged England’s confidence, insists Moeen Ali
The all-rounder is confident England will be in good shape for the defence of their World Cup crown.