Bangladesh tour likely for OZ
Cricket Australia CEO James Sutherland has indicated there is a high likelihood the men’s national team will visit Bangladesh for a two Test series in 2017.
Australia have not visited Bangladesh since 2006 and withdrew their under-19 team from the World Cup which was staged in the Asian nation in 2016 over security concerns.
Cricket Australia have rethought their position after England’s succesful tour of the nation under heavy security and are now considering visiting the country.
Sutherland told ABC Radio: “I think they’re quite high.
“What we saw at the end of last year was the England team tour Bangladesh and we saw very strong security around the team. We sent our head of security Sean Carroll over to observe for seven to 10 days, just to get a little bit of comfort on the systems and processes that are in place.
“I suppose anything can happen between now and then and we continue to monitor what happens in Bangladesh, but we work on the assumption that we’re going to play and we start to plan accordingly.
“We certainly get a great deal of comfort from the way the security measures were put in place by the Bangladesh government in conjunction with the cricket board over there.
“At the moment, I would be assuming that we would be playing two Tests over there. They’re tentative dates around August or September, I would think.”
CA withdrew from their scheduled tour of Bangladesh in 2015 at the last minute pn the advice of DFAT, the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation and CA’s internal security officials.
Safety remains a priority for CA as Sutherland explained: “The fundamental is that safety comes first … and we’ll make those judgements accordingly.
“But at the same time we have made a decision in the past to postpone a tour of Bangladesh and we were the only team to not send a team to the Under-19 World Cup.
“So while there’s pressure for us to get back on the horse, so to speak, and travel to Bangladesh, we won’t compromise anything in … getting to a level of satisfaction that the security measures are appropriate and at the level we need and want.”
Alex Hartley: Taking indefinite break from cricket was ‘hardest decision’ ever
Hartley announced on her BBC No Balls Podcast on Friday that she had been “struggling mentally” for several months.
England will keep embracing risks during Ashes despite ‘blip’ – Daryl Mitchell
England have enjoyed some rousing successes since Ben Stokes and Kiwi favourite Brendon McCullum took over the Test team.
Australia captain Meg Lanning ruled out of women’s Ashes
Cricket Australia said the 31-year-old has been ‘withdrawn from the squad due to a medical issue’.
Sean Abbott equals Blast record with stunning century for Surrey
The Australian equalled his compatriot Andrew Symonds by scoring a century from just 34 deliveries.
Six former Yorkshire players sanctioned by CDC in Azeem Rafiq racism case
Gary Ballance, Matthew Hoggard, Tim Bresnan, Andrew Gale, John Blain and Richard Pyrah have been handed combined fines of £22,000.
Cricket Ireland defends decision to rest Josh Little for England Test
The 23-year-old left-armer is one of Irish cricket’s hottest properties.
On this day in 2015: England hire Trevor Bayliss as head coach
Bayliss led England to World Cup glory in 2019.
Jason Roy looks Los Angeles-bound but says ‘I never will walk away from England’
The batter has had to cancel the remainder of his current incremental contract with the England and Wales Cricket Board.
Chris Wood warns wounded Hampshire cannot rely on repeat of ‘freak’ 2022 season
The south-coast county won 12 out of 13 matches after losing their first four to lift the Blast title last season.
Jason Roy set to cancel England deal to star in new US competition
Major League Cricket launches in America in July.