CSA ‘fairly confident’ Sri Lanka tour will go ahead
After the England series was called off, Cricket South Africa (CSA) is confident the scheduled series against Sri Lanka will go ahead.
This after CSA officials spoke to their Sri Lankan counterparts, who were assured that sufficient measures were put in place for the Boxing Day and New Year’s Test matches, at SuperSport Park and the Wanderers.
In fact, Cricket SA’s Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Shuaib Manjra said that stricter controls will be in place than was the case for England, and that he is “fairly confident” of the series’ conclusion.
On Monday, the three-match England ODI series was called off after two “unconfirmed positive tests” within their ranks, while three positives in the Proteas camp and two among the hotel staff where the players were staying were recorded earlier.
But on Tuesday, it came to light that the pair were “not infected” although the squad is still set to leave the country on Thursday.
“I think that the real risks are extremely low, but the perceived risk is something that I can’t control,” Manjra said as reported by IOL.
“The nature of infectious diseases is that they manifest in different ways and in different spaces, you can’t completely control them. I get a sense that England is a victim of its own success.
“There is no place that can be completely sanitised – you can do it, but it comes at enormous cost. It’s unsustainable for any sport – Lewis Hamilton just tested positive, does that mean the Grand Prix schedule comes to a halt? Does the EPL come to a halt when players test positive?”
Positives to be taken from cancelled tour
Despite the disappointment and financial implications of the cancelled series against England, Majra was confident that they had learnt some lessons from the debacle.
“I have regular conferences with the ICC, and even independently with all role-players and without fail, they all tell you the psychological effects (of living in a bio-secure, lockdown environment) are quite significant,” he continued.
“We recognised that if we go pretty draconian in terms of the measures that we take, it will negatively impact on players.”
“We tried to create a relaxed attitude while applying Covid-19 protocols but to create a balance between being draconian and having a relaxed attitude in terms of what we did.”
Earlier on Tuesday, Cricket Australia also voiced their confidence that their tour to South Africa in February/March 2021 will go ahead.
Will Jacks hopes to use The Hundred to boost his international prospects
The 23-year-old has had a stand-out season across the formats this year.
Eoin Morgan backs England to challenge for T20 World Cup despite struggles
England on Sunday slipped to their joint-heaviest defeat in the 20-over format.
Ollie Robinson double earns Kent win while Glamorgan make fine start to defence
Yorkshire, Warwickshire, Leicestershire and Nottinghamshire also won their opening Royal London Cup games.
England’s Jonny Bairstow pulls out of Hundred to rest ahead of South Africa Test
Welsh Fire’s Bairstow has endured a relentless schedule with England in recent months.
Fit-again Ollie Robinson back in England squad after injury issues
The Sussex pace bowler was a spectator during March’s tour of the Caribbean due to back spasms.
Mark Alleyne hoping to bring winning mentality to Welsh Fire
After a lengthy spell out of the game, Alleyne is back coaching and ready to seize his moment.
I felt pretty useless – George Garton ready for Hundred after long Covid
It was the second time he had contracted the virus.
England confirm finer details of first tour of Pakistan in 17 years
England have not toured Pakistan since 2005 due to security concerns.
Matthew Mott makes plea for patience after England’s white ball woe summer
England will be boosted by Ben Stokes return before the T20 World Cup but Jason Roy remains under pressure.
James Foster proud to be the first English coach in men’s Hundred
Foster learnt from foreign coaches he worked under before landing Northern Superchargers head coach job.