Dwayne Bravo retires from Windies Tests

News

West Indies all-rounder Dwayne Bravo has announced his retirement from Test cricket, but is eager to keep representing the region in the shorter formats, he announced on Saturday.

Bravo has had a challenging few months, after being stripped of the ODI captaincy, dropped from the ODI side, and not picked for the World Cup. He was also a key member of the side that abandoned their tour of India late last year.

Bravo has not played a Test since late 2010, and has decided to focus his energies on regaining his limited-over place, and says that while he is moving on after 40 Tests, he believes he can help the Windies regain former glory.

Bravo said: "Today I am announcing my retirement from Test cricket. I have already informed the WICB of this decision and also indicated my desire to continue to represent the West Indies in the shorter formats of the game.

"Over the years, with the greatest enthusiasm, I have done my best with the deep awareness that I am ultimately representing the people of the game.

"I recognise that this is a difficult time for all of us. Our people of the region have seen and enjoyed great cricketing days but we will not return to glory until we agree to go forward with our love for the game and the respect of the administrators, players and the public.

"I have experienced the exhilarating joy of victory and the devastating pain of defeat. The joyous memories will remind me of what we are capable of achieving. I want to be part of that mission.

"I thank the cricketing fraternity for their support and look forward to serving you with determination and the pride of being a West Indian."

Bravo scored three centuries in his 40-Test career, and retires with a batting average just over 31. Bowling-wise, he took 86 wickets at an average of nearly 40.

Latest