England announce T20I and ODI tour to South Africa next month
England will go back into the bubble next month for International Twenty20 and one day international series in South Africa.
England’s first tour since the coronavirus pandemic began will be played out amid bio-secure plans agreed with the Proteas.
Cricket South Africa ratified plans with the South Africa government, granting travel exemptions for England’s players and management.
England will fly out of London on November 16 with the three IT20 clashes and three ODIs held in Cape Town and Paarl.
Short-format captain Eoin Morgan earlier this week predicted that players could withdraw from bio-secure tours given the mental health challenges.
But England will now be on the road next month and dealing with all the challenges of playing behind closed doors.
England will pay for their own chartered flight to travel out to South Africa, and are expected to take an extended squad of up to 24 players to meet the tour’s demands.
“We are looking forward to touring South Africa,” said ECB chief executive Tom Harrison.
“I would like to personally thank Cricket South Africa for their efforts in ensuring this tour goes ahead and their diligent work to create an environment that is safe for our players and staff.
“They are working tirelessly to pull together a bio-secure plan in Cape Town and Paarl.
“We owe it to the sport that we do everything we can to keep international competition progressing during this pandemic.
“Series against the Proteas are always exciting and intense. We saw that earlier this year in South Africa and we can expect the same this time around.”
England will base themselves in Cape Town and training at Western Province Cricket Club ahead of the IT20 series will include three intra-squad practice matches.
The first IT20 match will be held at Newlands on Friday, November 27 with the three-match ODI series starting at the same venue on Friday, December 4.
“This is a wonderful boost for cricket,” commented Cricket South Africa’s acting chief executive Kugandrie Govender.
“I would like to express CSA’s appreciation and sincere gratitude to the South African government for the support they have given us to make this return to international cricket in our country a reality.”
Lauren Winfield-Hill stars as Oval Invincibles begin title defence with big win
The home side defeated the Northern Superchargers by nine wickets.
Sam Curran the main man as Oval Invincibles beat Northern Superchargers
Curran scored 60 in his side’s three-wicket win at the Kia Oval.
England opener Alex Lees keen to see aggressive approach adopted in county game
The Durham batter has used the break in Test cricket to spread the word.
‘It was awesome’ – Will Smeed ends his 90s curse to hit Hundred’s first century
The youngster had fallen short of a maiden century on multiple occasions during the first half of 2022.
Will Smeed becomes first batter to hit ton in Hundred during Birmingham win
The opener cracked an unbeaten 101 off 50 balls.
Women’s game on upward trend and schools an important target – Anya Shrubsole
The 30-year-old pace bowler was restricted to competing against boys during childhood.
Australia captain Meg Lanning taking break from cricket for personal reasons
The 30-year-old had been due to represent Trent Rockets in The Hundred.
Tributes pour in for former umpire Rudi Koertzen following death aged 73
The MCC said it was “saddened” to learn of Koertzen’s death.
Lisa Keightley to step down as England head coach at the end of the summer
The Australian took over in January 2020 and led England to the final of this year’s World Cup.