England tour to Bangaldesh will go ahead

Bangladesh

England's tour to Bangladesh at the end of September will proceed as planned, says ECB director Andrew Strauss, though players will be allowed to decided whether they want to go or not.

There were big questions about the tour going ahead after security concerns and warnings about threats against Western tourists, but a delegation from the ECB, the UK government, and the players' association went to Dhaka to assess the situation and were happy that it would be safe.

Strauss said that the players, who would be named for the tour after the Pakistan series on the go, were concerned but happy to accept the decision, though would be free to opt out if uncomfortable.

Strauss said on Thursday night: "England's tour of Bangladesh will continue as planned.

"Safety and security of players and management are always paramount. We've received a thorough risk assessment, had excellent insight into the current situation and been fully briefed on security commitments.

"ECB and PCA have the utmost confidence in the advice and support we've been given.

"Tonight we discussed details with the players and management in an open meeting. They asked lots of questions, have time to ask more and will clearly want to take it all in – we understand that.

"Selection for the tour will be made after the end of the summer internationals.

"We will, as always, continue to monitor the situation right up to and throughout the tour."

Last year, Australia cancelled their tour to Bangladesh for the same reasons, after their security team deemed the country unsafe for them, and they also withdrew their under 19 side from their World Cup, which was held in Dhaka.

Latest