Faulkner injured, Oz selection delayed

Australia

Australia have delayed their selection announcement for the third Ashes Test in Perth due to a number of new injury concerns, after James Faulkner fractured his thumb in training and was ruled out of the match.

Australia have delayed their selection announcement for the third Ashes Test in Perth due to a number of new injury concerns, after James Faulkner fractured his thumb in training and was ruled out of the match.

Faulkner stood a chance of playing at the WACA in light of veteran fast bowler Ryan Harris' knee injury, but now that opportunity may have switched to Doug Bollinger, who had been on stand-by but not in the squad.

The paceman was struck on the hand while batting in the nets on Thursday, and scans later revealed a thumb fracture, ruling him out of the game and possibly the rest of the series.

Skipper Michael Clarke said after training of the selection delay: "We're going to wait until the toss, see how everybody pulls up after training yesterday and today, and it will give us another opportunity to have a look at the wicket as well."

He then said he was hopeful of Harris being able to play, adding: "I'm hopeful that everybody will come up. There's the obvious one in Ryano, who bowled today. We're going to wait and see how he pulls up but I'm confident he'll be fine.

"And it gives selectors another chance just to see if the wicket changes at all tomorrow morning, but it looks like a pretty good wicket to me."

When asked about the toss prospects, Pup said: "I'll see what the wicket's like tomorrow. I find it extremely hard to send an opposition team in in a Test match.

"I've always looked at batting first in a Test match because I think you give yourself every opportunity to win the game. Unless the wicket is extremely green I find it hard to send a team in, but I'll see what the pitch is like tomorrow.

"I don't think there's going to be overhead conditions [to accentuate ball movement], I think it's going to be pretty good weather. I'll speak to my vice-captain [Brad Haddin] and make a decision then."

Latest