Former India and South Africa head coach Gary Kirsten has been appointed to lead the Cardiff-based team in next year’s inaugrual edition of The Hundred.
Under Kirsten’s guidance, both countries also reached number one in the ICC’s official Test rankings.
Jobs in Twenty20 franchise cricket followed, with the South African taking charge of the Hobart Hurricanes and Royal Challengers Bangalore in the Big Bash and IPL respectively.
Speaking on the news of his unveiling, Kirsten said: “To be involved in English and Welsh cricket from a coaching perspective is something that I have never done. It’s great to be given that opportunity and to come to Cardiff.
“This is a new format that I am sure will grow and grow. The real win is that it will grab the attention of families and expose the game of cricket to as many environments and communities as possible.”
— England and Wales Cricket Board (@ECB_cricket) August 12, 2019
The 51-year-old competed in 101 Tests and 185 ODIs in a stellar playing career for South Africa between 1993-2004.
He becomes the fourth coach to be announced for the fledgling competition, with fellow overseas recruits Shane Warne (London Spirit), Andrew McDonald (Birmingham Phoenix) and Simon Katich (Manchester Originals) previously announced.
READ MORE ON THE HUNDRED
The Surrey opener is hoping to regain his spot in the England Test team after an ankle injury.
Curran felt unwell on Wednesday night and was instructed to self-isolate in his room.
ECB is permitting two overseas per team from next season.
Surrey man had been feeling unwell.
This is redemption on the grand scale, says former England spinner.
The Somerset spinner impressed in South Africa over the winter.
The captain promoted himself to open the batting but made just two off 15 balls
Curran experienced sickness and diarrhoea during Wednesday night.
The Durham all-rounder will take over temporarily from Joe Root.
Holder promoted himself to open the batting.