CSA’s Graeme Smith dismayed over cancelled Australia Tour
Cricket South Africa director of cricket Graeme Smith has responded after the “extremely disappointing” cancellation of Australia’s scheduled tour of the country.
Earlier on Tuesday, Cricket Australia released a statement in which the country’s board said the coronavirus situation in South Africa “poses an unacceptable level of health and safety risk”.
For CSA and South African fans alike, the news came as a huge disappointment, particularly after the country recently hosted Sri Lanka for two Tests, while the Pakistan women’s team is about to complete a tour there without a single positive coronavirus case.
South Africa’s domestic limited-overs competition, the Momentum One-Day Cup, the final of which is set for Potchefstroom on Thursday, has was successfully completed in a safe playing environment.
CSA has since responded with a statement of their own, in which Smith revealed he had been in contact with CSA representatives regularly and was convinced the tour could have been successfully completed.
“CSA has been working tirelessly in recent weeks to ensure that we meet every single expectation of CA,” Smith said.
“This was set to be the longest tour in a BSE [bio-secure environment], comprising a three-match Test series that was scheduled to begin with Australia’s arrival later in the month.
“So, to be informed about the CA decision at the eleventh hour is frustrating.”
Everything done to appease Australians
According to CSA chief medical officer Shuaib Manjra everything was done to appease their Australian counterparts.
“The protocols we had proposed to CA were unprecedented. Firstly, we had agreed that our own Proteas team would enter the BSE 14 days prior to the arrival of the Australian team, thus altering their planning during the current tour of Pakistan,” he said.
“Amongst some of the other key arrangements made were that all four areas [two hotels and two venues] had a protocol to implement a strict BSE with no contact with anybody outside this area.
“We subsequently agreed to two separate BSEs and had granted Australia full and exclusive use of the Irene Country Lodge, which we shared with Sri Lanka, with a minimum staff present on site.
“In terms of the arrangements, the Proteas were to move to a separate hotel altogether. Furthermore, all hotel staff, match officials and even bus drivers were to enter the BSE 14 days prior to Australia’s arrival.
“In addition, CSA had also committed to importing an Australian tracking system at great cost to ensure proper tracking of close contacts in the event of a positive test. The touring team was also going to be granted VIP access through the airports, after government intervention to ensure this privilege.”
Nevertheless, South Africa’s Test squad will return home from Pakistan, where they are currently involved in a Test series, next week regardless.
Lauren Winfield-Hill stars as Oval Invincibles begin title defence with big win
The home side defeated the Northern Superchargers by nine wickets.
Sam Curran the main man as Oval Invincibles beat Northern Superchargers
Curran scored 60 in his side’s three-wicket win at the Kia Oval.
England opener Alex Lees keen to see aggressive approach adopted in county game
The Durham batter has used the break in Test cricket to spread the word.
‘It was awesome’ – Will Smeed ends his 90s curse to hit Hundred’s first century
The youngster had fallen short of a maiden century on multiple occasions during the first half of 2022.
Will Smeed becomes first batter to hit ton in Hundred during Birmingham win
The opener cracked an unbeaten 101 off 50 balls.
Women’s game on upward trend and schools an important target – Anya Shrubsole
The 30-year-old pace bowler was restricted to competing against boys during childhood.
Australia captain Meg Lanning taking break from cricket for personal reasons
The 30-year-old had been due to represent Trent Rockets in The Hundred.
Tributes pour in for former umpire Rudi Koertzen following death aged 73
The MCC said it was “saddened” to learn of Koertzen’s death.
Lisa Keightley to step down as England head coach at the end of the summer
The Australian took over in January 2020 and led England to the final of this year’s World Cup.