Holder wants to retain ODI captaincy

News

Despite seemingly having problems on and off the field, West Indies ODI captain Jason Holder says he wants to continue to lead the regional side in the future.

The Windies were bundled out of the World Cup at the quarterfinal stage by co-hosts New Zealand in Wellington on Saturday, losing by 143 runs after the Black Caps posted 393 for six in their 50 overs.

The 23 year-old Holder controversially took over the captaincy from experienced allrounder Dwayne Bravo in December last year after the players and the West Indies Cricket Board had a dispute about money.

With multiple problems off the field, the men from the Caribbean comprehensively lost the five-match ODI series against the Proteas.There have also been reports that Holder does not have the backing of the senior players in the Windies team.

After being knocked out of the global tournament, Holder said: "Of course I will like to keep the job. As a youngster I always dreamt of leading West Indies and I am here doing it. I don't think I have done too badly. I have a lot of confidence we can go upwards.

"Before the event we didn't have a good series against South Africa. This journey was enjoyable. I learned a lot from this experience. There was ups and down in the mega event. Not something I will shy away from.

"It’s about learning as quickly as possible. We need to sit down and assess and find where we went wrong. We need to apply a bit more when we come to play cricket."

Latest