Investigation launched after Indian players allegedly abused by crowd in Sydney
Cricket Australia has launched an investigation after six spectators were ejected from the Sydney Cricket Ground for allegedly abusing Indian players on day four of the third Test.
Indian paceman Mohammed Siraj complained to the umpires and pointed to a section of the crowd near where he had been fielding at fine leg on Sunday.
Police and security guards were called in and later escorted six people from the stadium, as play was held up for almost 10 minutes.
It came after Indian team representatives alerted officials following the third day’s play that players including Siraj and Jasprit Bumrah were subjected to abuse – including that of a racist nature – from members of the crowd, which is restricted to 25 per cent capacity due to Covid-19.
Australia are poised to regain the series lead after losing the second Test in Melbourne, setting India 407 to win.
Sean Carroll, Cricket Australia’s Head of Integrity and Security, said the allegations made by the Indian team would be investigated.
“The abuse of cricketers by crowd members is not acceptable,” he said. “We thank the Indian team for their vigilance in reporting today’s incident, which we are now in the process of investigating.
“A number of spectators were interviewed by NSW Police and subsequently removed from the SCG on Sunday afternoon. While we await the outcome of the investigation by NSW Police, CA has launched its own inquiry into the matter.
“It is most regrettable that an otherwise excellent Test match contested in tremendous spirit by two friendly rivals has been tarnished by the actions of a small number of spectators over the past two days.
“As hosts, we once again apologise to the Indian team.”
With India dismissed for 244 on day three in response to Australia’s 338, the home side declared their second innings on Sunday at 312 for six. Steve Smith followed his first innings 131 by making 81, while Cameron Green scored 84.
India closed on 98 for two, still needing 309 runs to win, after openers Rohit Sharma (52) and Shubman Gill (31) were dismissed by Pat Cummins and Josh Hazlewood.
Tributes pour in for former umpire Rudi Koertzen following death aged 73
The MCC said it was “saddened” to learn of Koertzen’s death.
Lisa Keightley to step down as England head coach at the end of the summer
The Australian took over in January 2020 and led England to the final of this year’s World Cup.
Chance to Shine graduates Lauren Bell and Issy Wong excited to keep on inspiring
The pair have enjoyed a memorable year so far with international debuts in multiple formats.
Jordan Thompson stars with the ball as London Spirit hammer Manchester Originals
Seamer Thompson, who took two wickets on his tournament debut at the Oval last week, followed that up with a remarkable four for 21 from 20 balls.
Sam Billings aiming to use England Lions game to push for Test recall
The wicketkeeper will captain the side for the tour match against South Africa.
Moeen Ali fears 50-over cricket could be lost due to ‘unsustainable’ schedule
The World Cup winner is worried people are starting to view the 50-over format as ‘the long, boring one’.
Alex Hales leads Trent Rockets to opening Hundred win
The former England opener hit 58 off 41 balls against Birmingham Phoenix.
Richard Thompson named as new ECB chair and pledges to restore trust in cricket
The 55-year-old will leave is role at Surrey.
Jos Buttler shines but Manchester Originals lose to Northern Superchargers
The England white-ball captain top-scored but the hosts were beaten at Emirates Old Trafford.