Moeen Ali coronavirus quarantine extended after mild symptoms
Moeen Ali will not leave his coronavirus quarantine on Wednesday as previously planned and is now highly unlikely to play any part in England’s Test series against Sri Lanka.
Moeen tested positive for Covid-19 on arrival in the country and was instructed to isolate for 10 days, which would have allowed him to rejoin the squad on the eve of Thursday’s series opener in Galle.
But the all-rounder has experienced mild symptoms and fatigue and an abundance of caution from the Sri Lankan government, who are overseeing all guidance on the virus, means he now faces another two or three days of isolation.
The England and Wales Cricket Board are understood to be sympathetic to the decision and now expect Moeen to be allowed out of his private accommodation towards the weekend.
Given the tight time-frame, the 33-year-old spinner is effectively ruled out of the second Test starting on January 22 as a result, with too little time to get him match sharp.
Instead, the plan is for him to begin working back towards fighting fitness in time to play a role in the subsequent tour of India.
Chris Woakes spent a week confined to quarters after being identified as a close contact of Moeen – the pair having shared transport to the team hotel – and feels for his team-mate.
“Poor bloke, he’s obviously had it a little bit tough having been in isolation pretty much since we got here,” said Woakes.
“Everyone’s checking in with him, making sure he’s okay, but I can only imagine what he’s going through. I did seven days and he’s ended up doing a lot more than that. He had some symptoms which I think he’s over now, which is good, but you don’t wish this illness on anyone.
“We’re trying to get around him,” said Woakes.
“I was in contact with him all last week when I was in isolation – we were both talking about what we were up to.
“I know the guys have played a lot of Playstation with him as well and talking to him through the headsets.
“It’s tricky in these sort of times when you’re having to lock yourself away in a room, I’ve certainly not gone through that before so it is unprecedented times.”
Racism in cricket: ECB warned further action can be taken if problem is not dealt with
The Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) committee had issued a report calling on the ECB to “clean up its act” on racism.
Ray Illingworth funeral: Dickie Bird pays tribute to ‘outstanding man’
Illingworth, who won 61 caps for England, was one of the country’s most successful captains.
Women’s Ashes Test: Beth Mooney set for remarkable return despite liquid diet
The Australia opener has had surgery on a broken jaw.
South Africa: Former Essex stalwart Simon Harmer earns recall for tour to NZ
Simon Harmer returns after seven-year absence and Kolpak stint.
ICC Rankings: South Africa stars on the charge in latest update
Quinton de Kock and Rassie van der Dussen enjoyed a great series against India.
Women’s Ashes: England are ‘pumped’ ahead of only Test – Heather Knight
England go into the clash in Canberra looking to become the first England team to win a Test match Down Under this winter.
Yorkshire could learn next week if international hosting rights will be restored
Lucrative games were stripped from the county by the ECB.
T20 Cricket: England’s death bowling must improve, admits Paul Collingwood
West Indies came within two runs of pulling off a remarkable chase in Sunday’s second T20.
Cricket must address racism: Former England international Roland Butcher fed up
Butcher, who played three Tests and three one-day internationals for England in the early 1980s, is “not interested” in just words any more.
Racism in cricket: Azeem Rafiq staggered despite Middlesex chair’s apology for comments
Mike O’Farrell appeared to make generalisations at a Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) select committee hearing.