NZC and players reach agreement on revenue sharing payment model
NZC, the NZCPA and the six Major Associations have announced the completion of a new Master Agreement governing the professional men’s game, from August 1, 2018 to July 31, 2022.
The new agreement is based on a return to a fixed-revenue share model, through which the players will receive 26.5% of revenue generated from professional cricket. Over the four year term, this is forecast to be $65.3m, an increase of approximately 16% on the past four years of the previous agreement.
Additionally, the Player Payment Pool will receive 30% of professional revenue over and above the forecasted amount.
The new agreement includes a slight change to the contracting process, with NZC’s annual Black Caps central contracts being reduced by one (from 21 to 20) and the number of annual domestic contracts for each MA increasing by one (from 15 to 16).
It also incorporates increased funding for professional development programmes; the establishment of a health and well-being initiative for past players; and a forecast investment of $2.85m into the cricketers’ retirement fund over the four year term.
There will be an expanded NZ A programme; the establishment of development contracts for emerging players; an increase in Ford Trophy rounds (from eight to 10 plus finals) and a reduction of Plunket Shield rounds (from 10 to eight).
NZC chief executive David White said the Master Agreement negotiations were a demonstration of the ongoing goodwill between all parties.
“I just want to congratulate everyone involved on the constructive manner in which the entire process was conducted,” said Mr White.
“It was evident throughout that all parties shared a common interest in striking an agreement that was fair, progressive and good for the overall game in New Zealand.
“There has been strong and robust discussion throughout the process, as you’d expect with such a significant document – but the overall tone has been one of cooperation.”
NZCPA chief executive Heath Mills echoed Mr White’s remarks, saying the new agreement ensured a significant investment back into the game at all levels and importantly, recognised and rewarded the contribution of the players.
“I’d like to acknowledge the spirit in which NZC and the Major Associations entered the negotiation process,” said Mr Mills.
“At all times, we’ve felt respected, and treated as an important and valued stakeholder in the sport.
“It’s great to see all parties so well aligned and moving in the same direction.”
Central Districts chief executive Pete De Wet, one of the Major Association representatives on the negotiating team, said he was pleased the new Master Agreement recognised and invested in the professional domestic game.
“We’re delighted with the outcome,” Mr De Wet said on behalf of the Major Associations.
“We’re particularly pleased with the priority that’s been placed on domestic cricket, and the recognition of the importance of it as a development pathway for aspiring international cricketers.”
The Memorandum of Understanding governing the professional women’s game expires on July 31, 2019 and discussions will commence shortly on a new agreement – with a view to it running concurrently with, and expiring at the same time as, the new men’s agreement.
Ben Duckett keen to be main man as Nottinghamshire prepare to defend Blast title
The batsman struck the winning runs in last year’s final.
Returning fans can bring fun back to Vitality Blast – Laurie Evans
The Surrey batsman is excited for the competition to begin after a challenging 12 months for cricket.
New Zealand captain Kane Williamson an injury doubt for second England Test
Trent Boult is expected to play after his belated arrival in the country.
A look at James Anderson’s record and where he stands among England greats
The Lancastrian is set to don the England whites for a 162nd time when the second Test against New Zealand begins on Wednesday.
‘I thought I wasn’t good enough’ – James Anderson recalls nerves on 2003 debut
The fast bowler is preparing to unseat Sir Alastair Cook as England’s most capped Test cricketer.
Samit Patel hoping to help Nottinghamshire make history and defend T20 title
The Vitality Blast gets under way on Wednesday with Nottinghamshire looking to defend their title.
England players committed to self-improvement, says James Anderson
Ollie Robinson has been suspended following historic racist and sexist tweets.
Sophia Dunkley among 17 England Women players to be awarded central contracts
The South East Stars all-rounder made her England debut at the Twenty20 World Cup in 2018.
ECB probing claim a second England player posted ‘historic offensive material’
Ollie Robinson was on Sunday evening suspended from all international cricket pending an investigation.
Boris Johnson sympathises with Ollie Robinson after ‘over the top’ suspension
Robinson has been suspended over historical tweets but the Prime Minister agreed with Oliver Dowden’s assessment the ECB has gone ‘over the top’.