The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) have confirmed that the proposed tour of Afghanistan has been called off following a bomb blast in Lahore on Sunday.
Afghanistan, after impressing at the World T20 in India where they beat the West Indies, were due to play three ODIs in Pakistan in April but those matches have now been put on hold.
PCB spokesman Amjad Bhatti said: "The tour is called off due to overall security situation in the country."
The cricket boards of the respective countries are still discussing the possibility of playing the series at a neutral venue, most probably the United Arab Emirates.
Azizullah Fazly, executive director of the Afghan cricket team, said: "We gave them another option to hold the championship in Dubai which would be good because many people from both countries live there. But we have yet to receive any response."
No major foreign Test-playing nation has toured Pakistan since gunmen attacked the Sri Lanka cricket team bus in Lahore in 2009.
Zimbabwe though toured Pakistan and played a limited-overs series in the country in May last year.