Pietersen: Strauss made the right decision

England

Kevin Pietersen says that Andrew Strauss' decision to overlook him for the Ashes appears to have been the correct one, considering that England completed a 3-2 victory over Australia.

Pietersen was sacked by England last year, but a 355 not out for Surrey against Leicestershire seemed to pave the way for a possible recall.

Pietersen met with Strauss, England's director of cricket, in May, but Strauss deciding against reinstating him, stating there was a "massive trust issue" with the 35-year-old that threatened harmony within the team camp.

Asked at a Sport Industry Group event in London on Thursday if Strauss made the correct move in leaving him out, Pietersen said: "Absolutely it seems to be the right decision at the moment. 

"Some of the stuff Strauss has done with the England team and getting past players into the dressing room is brilliant."

Asked if he thought his England career was now finally over, the batsman added: “If it is, it is. I’m not sitting here worrying about what has happened. I’m living my life.

“I went there [to the meeting with Strauss] with a lot of positivity and left with quite a bit of negativity. He had a decision to make and he made his decision and it turned out absolutely fine. At the time I thought it was ridiculous, it was nonsense to leave me out. I might have said something stronger to him. But I am buzzing that England won and I am not looking back to the meeting in May thinking, ‘Oh goodness, things could have been so different.’ I am pretty cool about it.”

Pietersen is England's leading run-scorer across all formats.

He is now focusing on Twenty20 cricket and will play for the Dolphins in South Africa next month before competing in the Pakistan Super League.

Latest