Shakib ban reduced by half

Bangladesh

Bangladesh will have all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan back on the field earlier than expected, after his six-month ban for poor behaviour was reduced to three months by the Bangladesh Cricket Board.

Bangladesh will have all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan back on the field earlier than expected, after his six-month ban for poor behaviour was reduced to three months by the Bangladesh Cricket Board.

Shakib was suspended after an altercation with a fan, which was the straw that broke the camel's back for the BCB, but they have said that his behaviour since then has been good enough to warrant a reduction in sentence.

Nazmul Hassan, the BCB president, said: "After taking everything under consideration, we have decided in today's meeting that his suspension will be lifted on September 15.

"This means he will be available for selection. The board would not decide where he will play, the selectors and operations committee are there to select him. He will be available for international and domestic cricket.

"It is not easy to take such a decision and then come out of it. But, as a contracted player, he had a right to appeal and he did. We were satisfied with the letter and his recent behaviour from individual interactions.

"We feel he has learned from his mistake and he has assured us a number of times that he won't make such a mistake again.

"The decision to keep him suspended from playing abroad [in domestic leagues] still stands. We will observe him on and off the field. If we see he has improved, the board may then decide to relax the other things."

This will be good news for the Tigers, and cynics may suggest the decision is because of the recent ODI whitewash against the West Indies, where they were notably missing their star player.

Latest