Shakib cops six-month ban

Bangladesh

The Bangladesh Cricket Board have banned all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan for six months.

An arguably harsh decision taken at Monday's board of directors meeting has seen the Bangladesh Cricket Board ban all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan for six months.

Al Hasan had, last week, denied threatening to retire from Test and ODI cricket to coach Chandika Hathurusingha – but apologised for an argument over participation in the Caribbean Premier League.

"He has a severe attitude problem, which is unprecedented in the history of Bangladesh cricket. We think that his behaviour is such that it's directly impacting the team," said Bangladesh Cricket Board president Nazmul Hassan.

The 27-year-old wanted to stay in the Caribbean until the end of the lucrative domestic Twenty20 contest on 16 August and join Bangladesh before the opening ODI against the West Indies four days later. Hathurusingha, however, insisted Al Hasan return on 30 July.

"I did not make this comment, it was the coach's comment," insisted Al Hasan. "Why should I say something like this? If I get angry and tell my father that I don't want to eat, will it come out in the news?

"It is a simple issue. If I didn't wish to play for Bangladesh, would I have returned today? I would have left without telling anyone. I want to play for Bangladesh at least until the 2023 World Cup.

"I was angry and I said a few things that I shouldn't have, but I said sorry and he accepted that as well. Because I was on a flight for 10 hours I couldn't talk to him and that's why he probably complained in a letter.

"I didn't have time to talk to him. I tried to reason with him and explain that should I come back for just ten days? He told me that look this is a team game and asked me to stay in the camp. He showed his logic and I showed mine. At the end of the day it went his way."

Al Hasan, too, will not be allowed a no-objection certificate to play cricket abroad until the end of 2015.

Latest