Black Caps demolish Aussies at Eden Park


Australia found themselves on the business end of a demolition at Eden Park in the first ODI against New Zealand, losing by 159 runs as they were bowled out for a paltry 148 in under 25 overs.

The Aussies were chasing 308 to win after the hosts recorded 307 for eight, thanks to a brisk 90 from Martin Guptill. The Aussie top order collapsed to 6 for 41, and never stood a chance after that.

Australia won the toss and opted to field, taking the small ground into consideration and having faith in their batsmen to chase anything. In the recent series against India, they routinely chased 300-plus, and would have been confident of doing so again.

But New Zealand's batsmen defied the ground's low-scoring reputation, and Guptill and Brendon McCullum put on 79 for the first wicket in the first 10 overs. McCullum was out for 44 off 29 balls, bowled by James Faulkner.

Though Kane Williamson was out for a rare duck, Guptill and Henry Nicholls then went on to put on a century stand. They took the score from 81 to 181 in the next 12 overs, before Guptill was out for 90 off 76 balls.

Nicholls advanced to 61 before falling to Mitchell Marsh, and the Kiwi lower order added cameo knocks to take the score above 300. Mitchell Santner's 35 not out was particularly vital.

Australia's chase got off to a dismal start when Shaun Marsh, in the side ahead of the in-form Usman Khawaja, was out for five in the second over. David Warner and Steve Smith then took the score from 10 to 33, before they collapsed.

Matt Henry was the chief destroyer, as Australia lost five wickets for just 23 runs. George Bailey was out for two, while Glenn Maxwell and Mitchell Marsh both recorded ducks. After nine overs, they were 41 for six.

Matthew Wade and Faulkner then tried to revive the almost flat lined innings, each making 30-odd, but poor shot selection combined with swingy pace saw them removed by Corey Anderson and Adam Milne respectively.

The final two wickets were taken by spinner Mitchell Santner, with his first two balls of the match. Kane Richardson was caught by Williamson, while John Hastings was caught by Guptill, thus ending the innings on 24.5 overs.

The second of three ODIs will be played in Wellington on Saturday 6 February.