England on top as five-fers abound


England held a healthy lead of 264 runs at stumps on day two of the second Ashes Test at Lord's, though they were on 31 for three after Australia paceman Peter Siddle did some late damage.

England held a healthy lead of 264 runs at stumps on day two of the second Ashes Test at Lord's, though they were on 31 for three after Australia paceman Peter Siddle did some late damage.

England were all out for 361 in the first hour of play, with Australia fast bowler Ryan Harris getting his name on the honours board with a five-fer. The chase then started well, but the loss of all 10 wickets for 86 runs saw the Aussies down for the count.

Graeme Swann took a five-fer of his own as England ended the Aussies quickly and held a lead of 233 runs. Siddle then removed all three wickets to fall before the close, leaving Joe Root and Tim Bresnan unbeaten.

England began the day on 289 for seven, with Bresnan and night watchman James Anderson in the middle overnight. Bresnan, starting on seven, had a quick trip to the crease as he was caught behind first ball off an outside edge.

Harris then added Anderson, who had come in ahead of Stuart Broad, to his records four overs later, also edging it to Brad Haddin behind the stumps. This left Broad and Swann to push the score to above the 350 mark.

The five-fer was Harris' third in 13 Tests, and at the age of nearly 34 he would have cherished the moment as he had struggled with injuries throughout his career and played far less than his abilities deserved.

The last wicket pair showed how good the track actually was, with a bit of help from short-pitched bowling, and made 48 runs in just six overs. Swann ended on 28 not out, while Broad was caught behind, given out, reviewed it, and sent packing for 33.

The Aussies began well, with Chris Rogers' calm temperament at his home county ground helping Watson early on. The pair took a while to get off the mark, but Watson did the honours in the third over with a four.

It was the first of six boundaries for the all-rounder, and he looked solid for most of his knock, until he was dismissed by Tim Bresnan. The paceman, who had not taken a Test wicket since July 2012, trapped him plumb in front.

But Watson, despite consulting with Rogers, called for a review anyway, and it was a wasteful one as the ball was hitting leg stump solidly. By contrast Alastair Cook had used none of his reviews, despite three viable chances to do so.

The afternoon session saw five six wickets fall, and Rogers was the first to depart, soon after the restart. He was given out LBW to Swann, but because of Watson's wasted review, he walked. But he should have sent it upstairs as it was going miles down leg.

Usman Khawaja made only 14 runs before hoicking Swann into the deep, where Kevin Pietersen took an easy catch, and Phil Hughes was caught behind by Matt Prior off Bresnan. Prior reviewed the decision, but it was upheld based on the sound mic.

Skipper Michael Clarke tried to keep the innings going, but he could only make 28 before being trapped plumb in front by Broad, while Steve Smith could not replicate his heroics with the ball and was caught at short leg for two.

Ashton Agar looked decent but he and Haddin had to struggle for singles, so the teen was out for two after facing 21 balls. He was run out in comical fashion, calling for a run that definitely wasn't on.

Haddin and Peter Siddle were at the crease at tea, but the latter was soon sent back to the balcony by James Anderson, caught by Swann for two. Haddin became Swann's fourth wicket, caught by Jonathan Trott for seven.

The final pairing of James Pattinson and Ryan Harris continued the trend of last wicket stands doing well, and they put on the knock's best partnership (24). Harris was the final wicket to fall, caught by Pietersen to secure Swann's five-fer.

Cook and Pietersen again failed to make a meaningful score in this game, with the skipper the first to fall. He made 12 before finding the ball removing his bails and Siddle celebrating.

Trott, who had made a fifty in the first innings, fell for a duck this time, getting an inside edge off Siddle onto his stumps, and then Pietersen made just five runs before lobbing 'Vicious' to cover.

Root and night watchman Bresnan survived the rest of the 20 overs they faced, with the opener on 18 at the close and the all-rounder yet to get off the mark.