Nair determined to succeed with remodeled action
Sydney Thunder mystery spinner Arjun Nair is pleased to have put his suspension from bowling behind him after being cleared to return with a remodeled action.
Nair was reported for a suspect during the last summer’s BBL on December 30 against the Hobart Hurricanes.
The tweaker, highly rated by youth coaches, will spend the next four weeks at a spin camp in Brisbane having been cleared to return after tireless work with Thunder assistant Beau Casson and Cricket NSW pathways coach Anthony Clark to correct his carom ball and off-spinner.
Nair told cricket.com.au: “It was obviously a big blow.
“I was very disappointed and it took me quite a while to get my head around it.
“Not just for me, but it was really hard for my family. My Dad is very involved with my cricket so I think he was more affected by it than I was.
“I worked with him on bowling a lot as well. After I’d finished bowling with Beau and Anthony, I went with my Dad and did some extras.
“I was always confident that I’d be able to fix it and return. I had a lot of support from NSW teammates and the Sydney Thunder.”
A lot of technical work has gone in to ensuring that Nair can get back out onto the pitch and have his career head in the right direction.
— KFC Big Bash League (@BBL) January 18, 2017
“My coaches and I sat down and looked at my footage and the thing I noticed was that I didn’t use much of my lower body,” Nair explained.
“So I had to engage my legs more in my action. That was the key. I’ve been looking at my arm path as well – just little things, but they made a big difference to my action.
“For me the challenge is now to maintain it. You see a lot of bowlers who have been in this position and had a problem, they come back and get reported again. I have to make sure I don’t lapse and keep in the back of my mind that I have to keep being consistent.”
Nair has done well in the Big Bash but is eager to force his way into red ball cricket as well.
“My goal is to play all three formats at the top level,” he said.
“Because I’ve had consistently a lot more opportunities at T20 level, people think, ‘OK, he must be a T20 player’.
“But my main goal is to play first-class cricket.”
Deandra Dottin’s an all-round success as Manchester Originals beat Welsh Fire
The former West Indies star excelled with bat and ball at Old Trafford.
Ben Stokes insists England will adopt front-foot approach in all circumstances
England begin their Test series with South Africa at Lord’s on Wednesday aiming to keep playing bold cricket.
Dean Elgar warns South Africa are ‘not here to play soft-natured cricket’
The Proteas skipper also insisted nothing should be read into their heavy defeat to England Lions last week.
Ireland all-rounder Kevin O’Brien retires from international cricket aged 38
The 38-year-old’s century secured a famous World Cup victory over England in 2011.
Ben Stokes happy to see South Africa ‘keep talking’ about England’s new approach
The two teams meet in the first Test at Lord’s on Wednesday.
James Anderson: There are unlikely to be many more Test players in their forties
Anderson made his debut against Zimbabwe in May 2003 and has gone on to claim 657 wickets in 172 Tests.
English cricket needs to react as world game continues to shift – Andrew Strauss
Speaking ahead of this week’s Lord’s Test against South Africa, Strauss acknowledged the established order was under threat.
James Anderson is as happy as he has felt in an England dressing room for years
Anderson is enjoying the culture created by new head coach Brendon McCullum and captain Ben Stokes.
Will Jacks century leads Oval Invincibles to comfortable victory
Jacks hammered an unbeaten 108 from 48 balls.