Cricket Australia chief: Ashes preparations proceeding full steam ahead
The Cricket Australia (CA) boss says Ashes preparations are proceeding “full steam ahead” after the tour was given the green light by the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB).
Concerns over Australia’s Covid travel restrictions and the prospect of multiple withdrawals among the visiting side were real enough just last week for the ECB to suggest they may not take part in the marquee series if a group befitting of the historic rivalry could not be raised.
But successful discussions with CA over arrangements for families and quarantine meant there were no opt-outs, with England on Sunday naming a near full-strength squad for the tour.
Following the ECB’s tick of approval, which was given “subject to several critical conditions being met”, CA’s chief executive Nick Hockley said preparations were now moving “full steam ahead”.
“We are working with all of the relevant parties to play the schedule as planned,” he said.
“Now that the tour’s confirmed, we’re doubling down on the finer detail with each of the venues and each of the host cities.”
Hockley also offered insight into the ECB’s conditions for the tour’s approval, which include working out visa exemptions and biosecurity protocols.
He said: “We’re working to process the various visa and travel exemptions for the entire touring party … that’s the first set of conditions.
“The second set is the finer detail of our biosecurity protocols. That’s work that’s ongoing, as between our respective medical teams.
“What I can say is that we’ve got a range of medical protocols that will vary depending on the nature of the situation in any of the cities as we move around Australia for the tour.
“Planning an Ashes series is a big, complex endeavour in normal times. But obviously with the overlay of biosecurity requirements, the level of detail of planning by lots of people is absolutely superb.
“I think we’re all now looking forward to that first ball on the eighth of December at the Gabba.”
After the first Test in Brisbane, the sides will meet for a day/night Test in Adelaide, the Boxing Day Test in Melbourne, then matches in Sydney and Perth.
Moeen Ali fears 50-over cricket could be lost due to ‘unsustainable’ schedule
The World Cup winner is worried people are starting to view the 50-over format as ‘the long, boring one’.
Alex Hales leads Trent Rockets to opening Hundred win
The former England opener hit 58 off 41 balls against Birmingham Phoenix.
Richard Thompson named as new ECB chair and pledges to restore trust in cricket
The 55-year-old will leave is role at Surrey.
Jos Buttler shines but Manchester Originals lose to Northern Superchargers
The England white-ball captain top-scored but the hosts were beaten at Emirates Old Trafford.
Harry Brooks and Will Jacks in England Lions squad to face South Africa
The tour match will give an opportunity for players to push for a first Test cap.
Nathan Ellis and Jordan Thompson help London Spirit claim thrilling derby win
Australian fast bowler Ellis (three for 28) and Thompson (two for 31) reduced the home side to 12 for four.
Jofra Archer extends Sussex contract for another year
The 27-year-old World Cup winner has been sidelined for more than a year by injury.
Northern Superchargers put their faith in experience for Hundred campaign
The Headingley-based men’s side could have eight players aged 34 and over in their first-choice XI.
Liam Livingstone looking forward to entertaining fans in the Hundred again
The England all-rounder finished the 2021 men’s Hundred with the most runs and the highest individual score.
On this day in 2008: Kevin Pietersen named England Test and one-day captain
The South Africa-born batter made a bright start but lasted just five months in the roles.