The Hundred: Stokes to Superchargers. Everyone is sponsored by crisps
Ben Stokes will play for the Leeds-based franchise in The Hundred, with Northern Superchargers selecting England’s man of the moment ahead of Yorkshire pair Joe Root and Jonny Bairstow. More importantly, all the teams are sponsored by crisps.
The new 100-ball tournament was launched on Thursday, with the eight franchises officially named and the first batch of players allocated, including England’s centrally-contracted Test contingent and, best of all, the kits were revealed with the excellent news that Jofra Archer will have POM-BEAR written across his top and if that doesn’t win you round, then nothing will to be honest.
The Headingley side, which represents Yorkshire and Durham, had an embarrassment of riches to choose from but could not look past Stokes, the undisputed star of the summer.
Test captain Root was picked up by Nottingham-based Trent Rockets instead, with Bairstow joining Welsh Fire in Cardiff.
Elsewhere Jofra Archer will spearhead the Southern Brave bowling attack, Jos Buttler heads up Manchester Originals, Chris Woakes represents Birmingham Phoenix and Sam Curran joins brother Tom at Oval Invincibles.
Each team was also able to pick up two ‘icon’ players from their local area, as well as the first two representatives of their women’s side.
World Cup-winning captain Eoin Morgan is the leading man for the Lord’s franchise, London Spirit, with England Women’s captain Heather Knight also heading to the Home of Cricket.
Speaking about his new assignment Root said: “I’m incredibly excited to play for Trent Rockets in The Hundred.
“The best players in the world are coming here to compete and we’re going to get the chance to test ourselves against them once again. There has never been a more exciting time for cricket.”
Bairstow welcomed the chance to represent Welsh Fire, even though returning to Yorkshire in the opposition ranks might take some getting used to.
“I enjoy Cardiff, I made my England debut there and it’s an amazing place,” he said.
“It’s a new competition, a new format and new teams. It will feel weird going to Headingley and being in the away dressing room, but it’s an amazing honour to be one of the guys to figurehead a team.”
The Hundred – Team Names and First Players
- England Test contract: Chris Woakes
- Local Icons: Moeen Ali, Pat Brown,
- Women’s central contract players: Amy Jones, Kirstie Gordon
- England Test contract: Rory Burns
- Local Icons: Dan Lawrence, Eoin Morgan,
- Women’s central contract players: Heather Knight, Freya Davies
- England Test contract: Jos Buttler
- Local Icons: Saqid Mahmood, Matt Parkinson
- Women’s central contract players: Kate Cross, Sophie Ecclestone
- England Test contract: Ben Stokes
- Local Icons: Adil Rashid, David Willey
- Women’s central contract players: Lauren Winfield, Linsey Smith
- England Test contract:Sam Curran
- Local Icons: Tom Curran, Jason Roy
- Women’s central contract players: Laura Marsh, Fran Wilson
- England Test contract: Jofra Archer
- Local Icons: Chris Jordan, James Vince
- Women’s central contract players: Anya Shrubsole, Danni Wyatt
- England Test contract: Joe Root
- Local Icons: Harry Gurney, Alex Hales
- Women’s central contract players: Nat Sciver, Katherine Brunt
- England Test contract: Jonny Bairstow
- Local Icons: Tom Banton, Colin Ingram
- Women’s central contract players: Katie George, Bryony Smith.
Plunkett and Malan drafted to Lanka Premier League teams
The Lanka Premier League is set to get underway on 21 November, the schedule is yet to be released but the final is set for 13 December.
Zimbabwe squad jets out for their first tour since lockdown
Zimbabwe will want to scrap for every possible point in a bid to qualify for the 2023 World Cup via the ODI Super League.
Pakistan look to youth to take on Zimbabwe in T20s
Misbah says Pakistan will not experiment in ODIs as every match counts for ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023 direct qualification.
Bob Willis Trophy and County Championship to co-exist in new structure
An agreement over 2021’s first-class season has been agreed.
England skipper Eoin Morgan to take over as Kolkata Knight Riders captain
Morgan had been acting as deputy to Dinesh Karthik.
Misbah-ul-Haq resigns Pakistan chief selector post to remain coach
Misbah’s decision may very well be motivated by changes to the new rules surrounding designed to eliminate conflicts of interest.
Adil Rashid pens white-ball contract extension with Yorkshire for 2021 season
Rashid has had no involvement in any red-ball cricket since earning the last of 19 Test caps in the Caribbean in January 2019.
On this day in 2006: Pakistan pair test positive for nandrolone
Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammad Asif were withdrawn from the 2006 Champions Trophy after the results.
England invited to Pakistan for white-ball series in early 2021
The proposed tour is set to comprise three Twenty20 matches.