James Vince keen to make England mark against Ireland after impressing for Lions
James Vince hopes he can finally make his mark in England’s one-day side with several of his fellow World Cup winners missing the forthcoming three-match series against Ireland.
Vince has been limited to sporadic opportunities since making his ODI debut five years ago because of England possessing arguably the strongest 50-over batting line-up in their history.
When he has been given a chance to shine, he has failed to grasp it and his average slumped to a shade over 24 in 13 ODIs after three unconvincing World Cup displays last year as a stand-in for the injured Jason Roy.
However, he is expected to be included when England name their ODI squad to face Ireland on Monday and is determined to capitalise with the likes of Joe Root, Ben Stokes and Jos Buttler absent due to red-ball commitments.
He told the PA news agency: “I’m 29 now, so hopefully I’ve got a few years left in the tank. Obviously it’s a very tough side to break into, especially when it’s at full strength.
“It’s not always that easy when I’m in and out, but hopefully I’ll get a bit of a crack in this series.”
Vince had a starring role for England Lions against Ireland on Sunday, with the Hampshire captain arriving at the crease second ball after Jason Roy’s golden duck in a pursuit of 297 under lights.
It was a mere blip for the Lions as Vince and Phil Salt thumped 19 fours between them in the first 10 overs, regularly piercing the gaps and exploiting the fielding restrictions as Ireland’s seamers disappeared to all parts.
An explosive 141-run partnership in just 83 deliveries was only ended when captain Eoin Morgan walked out, prompting a slightly surprised Vince to head back unbeaten on 66 from 43 balls, including 12 fours.
Vince said: “I didn’t expect it but it was fine. These are warm-up games so getting everyone in, feeling good and getting some decent time in the middle before the series is important.
“Once me and Salty got going, we kept our feet down. The wicket was one where you could play quite freely and it fits in with the gameplan.
“I’m trying to take on board how Morgs and the management want us to play and once we were out there we were just egging each other on. The wicket felt so good to bat on and a lot of it felt fairly risk free.”
Salt registered a 58-ball hundred to put himself in the shop window for a squad place, showing the white-ball depth England have at their disposal.
Vince added: “With a big training group here, you get a close-up look that you only play against every now and again in the county set-up.
“There’s certainly a lot of good players – batters and bowlers – coming through, so for English cricket overall, it’s pretty positive signs.”
Sophia Dunkley and Katie George included in England squad
Heather Knight’s side are set for their first fixtures of the summer.
Jonny Bairstow century helps England recover from nightmare start
Australia took two wickets with the first two balls of the match.
Yorkshire quartet to miss remaining Blast games following positive Covid test
Matthew Fisher, Tom Kohler-Cadmore, Josh Poysden and David Willey are to self-isolate for 14 days.
England v Australia, 3rd ODI: Follow it live with Cricket365
Follow the updates from Emirates Old Trafford, with the series tied at 1-1, on our live scorecard
Khawaja: Racism is a barrier to cultural diversity in Australian cricket
Australia batsman Usman Khawaja says that more can be done to address racism at all levels of cricket.
Chris Woakes wants England to finish with a flourish
England are bidding to preserve their undefeated record across all formats.
Ian Cockbain to the fore as Gloucestershire qualify for Blast quarter-finals
The 33-year-old hit 44 off 21 balls as Birmingham were beaten by 50 runs in Bristol.
Rana Naved-ul-Hasan claims he was racially abused when at Yorkshire
Azeem Rafiq said he was left on the brink of suicide and labelled the club “institutionally racist”.
Chris Woakes urges England to maintain unbeaten record across ‘tough’ summer
A host of players have spent the past three months between two bio-secure bubbles in Manchester and Southampton.
Chris Woakes says players will feel impact as ECB reveals ‘unthinkable’ job cuts
The game’s governing body believes the health crisis has already cost the wider game £100million.